Friday, October 21, 2011

Give Back


You want to make a difference, but you don’t know where to begin.  This is something I often think about especially when something pulls at my heart strings. When I was living in my hometown I volunteered quite a bit.  Honestly I wasn’t truly driven by the need to help, some of my reasoning stemmed for selfishness. I was either bored or felt rotten about how I was currently living my life and felt the need to pay back the universe in order to avoid karmic retribution, but after I began volunteering the change I was making on the world actually made a change in me. I understood why people try so hard to make a difference and to give back.   

If you’re anything like me you’re eclectic, wild hearted, free spirited and frantically all over the place.  Which in my life is a great thing, it keeps life fun.  But you tend to be into so many different things, types of music, areas of the world, books, styles and personal interests.  I favor the sunshine, ocean, dogs, bare feet, tacos, pickles and beer, but I get along with almost everything. 

When I volunteered I dabbled in a variety of things, working for First Coast No More Homeless Pets, helping the staff put together surgery packets for low cost spay and neuter surgeries. I volunteered with L’Arche Harbor House, an assisted living facility for developmentally challenged adults, where I became a house member and visited with residents of the Nouwen house.  I worked with Surfers for Autism helping prepare for a surf event for children.

I’m still interested in volunteering, but have yet to find an outlet. If you’re looking for a way to make a difference, but don’t know where to start, here are some of the trendy, eco-friendly, youthful philanthropies in the world. 

Waves for Water- They make efforts to bring clean water to remote locations or those that have undergone a natural disaster.  Volunteers pay for and deliver water filters that provide fresh drinking water to citizens.
Credit to wavesforwater.org, helping the community with couriers

Toms – A trend within itself and you don’t have to do anything but shop.  Tom’s will donate a pair of shoes to a less fortunate individual when you purchase a pair.  They come out with new designs to keep up with the latest fashion. Its guilt free shopping if you ask me. 
So many styles, they are addicting

Surfrider Foundation – They have locations all over the USA.  It’s easy to join and a great way to meet friends.  Protect the ocean, waves and beaches. Give back. 

Threads of Change – Another shopportunity.  Purchase one of these amazingly beautiful items and proceeds go to educate women and children on health, birth control and hygiene to prevent and control the spread of HIV in Ghana. 

ASPCA – AMINALS!!! Yes, our furry friends need your help.  I would adopt all of them if my boyfriend wouldn’t freak out, but puppies, kitties, bunnies and more. Help them!

This is my pup he looks like a rescue, but he just needs a grooming


I’m thankful everyday that I’m healthy, young, educated and have a great support system of family and friends. Even when I feel down and out I know that I am luckier than most in the world and I have little to complain about.  Instead of griping we should put our energies into the world to make a difference. Plus volunteering is so in right now J

No comments:

Post a Comment