Thursday, October 6, 2011

5.14.2011 And We're Off

I know it's a little late in the game, but as they say it's better late than never.  After talking with family and friends I agreed it might be nice to share our daily journeys on a blog.


It feels like ages since I’ve sat down and actually written a blog post and come to think of it that’s what I do for a living now.  It’s also surprising that Tyler and I have been living in California for close to five months and we’ve loved every minute of it. I never thought people would be interested in what I was doing here in sunny San Diego and seeing as I talk to my friends and family on a regular basis I haven’t really had a chance to miss anyone or anything yet, except maybe the rain, but luckily mother nature sprinkled some of that our way yesterday.

By the way, a big thank you to all of that have come to visit Tyler, myself and Desi in California we love you guys and it keeps us cheerful to see familiar faces, but to those who haven’t been able to come, especially my family who constantly read my posts, look at my pictures and have pleaded with me to write more about our lives here I thought I’d better start keeping them up to date on our “So-Cal Lives”. 

First things first, the drive…


Here is my Camry girl.  I can’t believe she made it on this exhausting haul across America.  Tyler improvised with those straps and my dad’s homemade padding for my surf rack.   I didn’t believe they’d work and I was pretty anxious about having our boards strapped to the roof like that.

Our first stop was New Orleans, Louisiana. I remember going there on drunken socials and always remembered how much fun I had, but I conveniently kept forgetting how dirty it was. In our efforts to save money we tried to a book a hostel, but since we had Desi with us we had to come up with private accommodations to sneak him in. The only available private “room” was a Winnebago outside of a hostel.  Without reservation we gladly took the room on wheels.
View from the front of the rickety street car.

There was no running water so every bathroom break required a short walk to the main hostel.  We took a street car (pretty interesting) to Bourbon street had dinner and a few drinks and anticipated some real city “flare”. Needless to say it wasn’t the prettiest sight.  We made it back to our hostel/mobile home after a little feel, good, lost session compliments of Tyler J.

No comments:

Post a Comment