Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Brave New Life

I'll soon be opening the pages of “Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley a recommendation made by my boyfriend and it got me thinking about my brave new life. Although I assume the story is tad bit different the title was completely relevant to my first thought.  I've found my place in the world. I've found my happiness. California is a great color on me and one that I didn't realize would be until I took a leap of faith and courage.

When I tried contemplating what would become of "me" 3 years out of college, working for the man, dating the wrong guys, frequenting the same bars and still living in my hometown I would've only dreamed of a fantastical place.  Those dreams sparked ideas of Peru, Korea, Australia, New York and California. Anywhere but where I was. It was so many redundant years of talk without a goal or a plan. Then in 2009 I decided to make it happen, but I didn’t take myself seriously. I carelessly spent my savings and days with an undetermined imagination and it slipped through my fingertips like sand. Each crystalline orb represented a distant possibility.

I realized I was so dissatisfied because I truly didn’t know what I wanted and I didn’t believe I deserved it.  I was one of those people who seemed to prefer complaining and blaming the universe rather than making it happen.  There is a quote by Paul Everest, Unit founder that I strongly believe, “the human brain is a reality generator, you can do anything.” 

When things finally fell into perspective I made up my mind.  With determination in my heart and as I quickly learned a whole lot of courage I made things happen.  I began writing every day.  I was actively blogging, reading, submitting articles and working for free just so long as I got my name out there.  I became a literary slut in a sense, just to spread my work across many mediums. 
After a healthy savings accrued it was just a matter of time until I set forth on my trek across America where I landed in San Diego on May 19, 2011. 
In the past few months I’ve received a lot of texts, calls and emails of congratulations.  99% of them have described my actions as “brave” or some derivative of the word.  I always respond with the obligatory thank you, but never really thought my plan was brave, but alas I am.  I did what so many say they’ll do but don’t.  What their mouths advertise but feet won’t make happen.  What I said I would do but didn’t for many years. 

I took a chance on life. I moved with a couple of thousands of dollars and a dream and in three months turned it into my surreality. It's my brave new life and it suits me. It's the idea that I could make something bigger than me happen and come to life.

I stayed home longer than anticipated. I fell on my ass more times than not, but with a little courage and some fire under my butt I got out. I journeyed beyond my comforts and it's been the best experience thus far.
As a local San Diegan I am the contributing writer for Codewordsex.com and AskMissA.com.  I write and manage two personal blogs, http://ontheroadtoitscomplicated.blogspot.com/ and http://mae-justbecause.blogspot.com/. I am the Food Columnist for the San Diego City News. I am also responsible for the brand blogs on www.Seshday.com and as of recently am working as a Web Content Writer and Project Coordinator at Seo,Inc. I’ve landed my dream job, dream city and dream life and all it took was a brave heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment