Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Work it out

I’ve heard it before.  Better yet I’ve seen it before. I know that it’s possible to make a dream happen.  That little minute idea can spark into a reality with just determination, imagination and motivation.  Why can’t I get my dream off the ground? I think I have all the ingredients to make it happen, but the door keeps shutting in my face.
My dream was to journey to a far away land, in my case that journey brought me to San Diego and that is still 3,000 miles away from the comforts and normalcy of home.  Still, I came here to write. Write on cereal boxes, jingles, newspapers, you name it I’d write it.  I wasn’t a snob about it and I was willing to start from the bottom.  I just didn’t realize how long I was to remain there.
As I applied to job posting after job posting I realized the negation of “entry level”.  I feel that I’m experienced. I know that I have areas for improvement, but who doesn’t. I’m young. Transformable, eager, willing, energetic and open minded. I have the capability to learn new things and I have the drive.
But as I sat in interviews for these “entry level” positions I was brought face to face with denial.  The repetitious “You are a great candidate, but we went with someone a little more experienced” seemed insulting.  Corporate America expects an individual to go to some form of higher learning, let’s say University.  While there, they are to study and learn and create a goal to make a difference in society or even just make a difference to themselves.  So these individuals study during their academia and pick a career path and set a goal and graduate and then throw themselves into the society they are to become a member of to face countless moments of rejection.
While Jim or Jill went directly into an entry level position after high school to begin her career as a receptionist, learn the ins and outs of their business, put in a few years, slowly get promoted especially when Janice decides to become a stay at home mom after maternity leave. They move into the mid level position. You graduate from college and they’ve gained their 5-7 years experience. So even though you have your bachelor’s or master’s your lack of work experience keeps you out of the job line up and in the unemployment line. 
How are we going to get hired if someone doesn’t take a chance on the “lack of experienced” newly graduated, eager to work and learn individuals colleges and universities are spitting out by the hundreds?  We may not stand a chance.  The way I see it is employers have two choices, a. hire the individual who knows what they’re doing, has years of experience and the resume to prove it or b. hire the new grad with creativity, ideas, personality and a fresh new outlook on the workforce, from there they will gain an employee who can be apprenticed into the career and provide loyalty to the company. 
I think more companies should take plan B.  Take the chance on something new.  It’s the youth of America’s opportunity to shine and prove to our elders that we have the brains, power and strength to accomplish our goals. We aren’t just dreamers we’re makers. 
Imagine. Dream. Believe. Succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment